Click image to enlarge
Liberia RISING poster
Today Liberia finds itself at a crossroads: it can remain committed to its recovery and reconstruction efforts and transition to a more stable and economically vibrant country or it can stray from that course, risking a relapse into conflict.
With this in mind, it is critical for Liberia that long term goals are set for its society and future development towards lasting peace and development. In an effort to set these long term development goals the Government of Liberia, through the Ministry of Planning and Economic Affairs and the Governance Commission, have begun holding discussions about a long-term sustainable economic growth and development strategy for Liberia.
Since 2006, the Government and people of Liberia, with the support of regional and international partners, put in place a reform program, through the Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS)-Lift Liberia. The PRS consists of four pillars: Peace and Security, Economic Revitalization, Governance and Rule of Law and Infrastructure and Basic Services. It has and continues to serve as a short term development agenda for Liberia (April 2008-June 2011) .
Looking forward it is important to set a target for Liberia, eighteen to twenty years from now. The vision for wealth creation, Liberia RISING 2030, is expected to succeed the current development strategy – Lift Liberia. Similar to the Liberia’s PRS, Liberia Rising 2030 embraces a strategy of broad participation and inclusive growth, allowing Liberia to build the human resource capacity needed while forging a stronger sense of citizenship, national cohesion and responsive governance.
The goal is to develop and commit to a vision and strategy for reaching middle income status by 2030.What is Liberia RISING 2030?
Liberia RISING 2030 is a development agenda to succeed Liberia’s short-term Poverty Reduction Strategy – Lift Liberia. It will serve as a roadmap for addressing the social, political and economic challenges that confront Liberia on its path towards economic growth and wealth creation. The proposed 18-year development plan aims to:
o Transform Liberia into a middle-income country by the year 2030 leaving no Liberian behind
o Make public institutions and governing systems efficient, responsive and accountable
o Ensure all Liberians have equal protection, under the law, regardless of ethnicity, affiliation or socio-economic background.
The vision will undertake development initiatives in which the Liberian government and people will together define parameters - political, economic and social development - for building a reconciled and unified nation. A nation envisioned where citizens share a strong sense of national identity and community, commitment to ethical governance, and government partnership in pursuit of national development goals.
The visioning exercise belongs to the Liberian people and as such, Liberians will play a lead role in shaping the development agenda. Objectives of Liberia RISING 2030:
Economic Growth and Wealth Creation
1) Improved standard of living
2) Long-term growth trajectory
3) Medium and long-term planning framework to guide public investment programs
4) Equitable distribution of income
a) No Liberian living in abject poverty by 2030
b) Strong social safety net for the disadvantaged
5) Middle income country by 2030
a) Per capita GNI between US$2000 – 3000
b) Average annual growth rate of 12% - 15%
1) Develop a strong sense of citizenship, unity and cohesion
2) Consolidate institutions of good governance
3) Reduce disparities and marginalization and ensure equity through policies of “growth with development”
4) Strengthen commitment to moral, ethical and accountable governance as obligation of government, private sector and citizens
How will Liberia Rising 2030 be successful?
• Transcend partisanship, sectarian interests and regional divisions.
• All Liberians participate and take ownership of the Exercise
• Elevate Liberia Rising 2030 as a national platform that is non-partisan and all-inclusive.
• Follow a similar, more inclusive process than was used in the development of the current PRS and the County Development Agendas.
Liberia in 2030:
• No citizen should be disadvantaged as a result of gender, age, religion, ethnic origin or political opinions.
• Equitable distribution of income
• Open, democratic and accountable society, particularly individuals in leadership positions
• No Liberian living in poverty
• An established and functional social safety net should support disadvantaged persons
• Every citizen should have access to quality housing and health services within a reasonable distance.Visit Liberia RISING 2030 webpage